Posted on March 22, 2016
“Auckland mayoral candidate Mark Thomas said Council’s approach to volcanic cone viewshafts echoes that of the ill-fated out-of-scope residential housing proposals which council was forced to withdraw last month. There has been no consultation with the residents about what they think of these changes,” Mr Thomas said.
“The proposal comes a week after the Ministry of Culture and Heritage provided an update on one of central government’s “key cultural priorities” of pursuing a potential nomination for World Heritage status for the Auckland Volcanic Field. These proposals run the risk of making the Government’s and Auckland Council’s ‘key objective’ harder to achieve,” he said.”